Here is our family blog about Katie, Stephen, Parker, Paige, and Sarah.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Two Weeks Old and birth story

 Our little Sarah is two weeks old today and my good friend took some pictures of her today and has already sent some to me. So I thought I would post them while I was writing about Sarah's birth.




 On my due date we decided that it was time to be induced. My parents came in town that day and I was to be at the hospital that night at 9:00 PM to start the induction. So we left Parker and Paige with my dad that night and my mom came with us to the hospital. By the time we got all the paperwork filled out and were settled in our room it was 11:00 PM. And the room was HUGE! I was already having contractions on my own, but I had been for a couple weeks but they were starting to be more consistent and painful. I was at 3cm and 75% effaced, but again I had been for a couple weeks. That baby was coming that day for sure. So they decided that at 4:00 AM they would start pitocin so they could make sure that I got enough of the antibiotics in me before I delivered because of the group B. I asked to have my epidural put in at the same time as the pitocin, but they said no that I should start out by taking a ambien sleeping pill to help with the contractions (big mistake). Around 2:00 AM my contractions were so painful that I still couldn't get any sleep so I asked for the sleeping pill. It didn't help at all. All it did was make me so groggy and out of it. The contractions were too painful to let me fall asleep. So at 4:00AM they started the pitocin and then around 6:00AM they broke my water and they said I could finally have an epidural and I was at 6cm. They stopped the pitocin because my contractions were consistent and close enough. The anesthesiologist got to my room around 7:00AM and they put in my epidural and I threw up a few times while he was getting it in. Anyways it didn't work and he had to come back with his boss and they tried to adjust it and checked back 15 minutes later. Still not working... and so they adjusted again and tried a stronger medicine. And they kept trying to get it to work, but it just wouldn't. Man it hurt so bad. I just laid on my side and held on to the bed rail. I couldn't do anything because I was so fuzzy from the sleeping pill I couldn't really explain what was going on in my mind well I just expected everyone to know what was happening. I could feel the urge to push, but I just held off from telling every one because I wanted them to fix the epidural before I had to start pushing. When I finally said I needed them to get the doctor they checked me and I was already crowning. So the doctor got there and I only had to push a couple of times and she came out with the cord around her neck, but they got it off and she was fine. I had some tearing that had to get stitched up. So now I know what a natural birth feels like. I always want an epidural. Here is our first family picture. We have been up for about 26 hours here so Steve and I are really tired.

2 comments:

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

Katie, she is gorgeous!!!! I can't believe you look that good after being up for so long! Wow. I'm so sorry that the birth was kinda traumatic. I've never experienced the pushing part without an epidural but it sounds like it's not anything i'd want to do! Well, I'm glad that you have another beautiful little girl added to your family!

Steve + Brindy Arnett said...

She is SO beautiful!!! and without an epidural... even if it wasn't by choice- you're a real woman!!!:)
CONGRATS Katie. you have a beautiful family!