Here is our family blog about Katie, Stephen, Parker, Paige, and Sarah.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

She is here!






Welcome to the world Paige Alyse Nelson. Paige was born March 4, 2010 (yes 6 days late). She was 8 pounds and 20 3/4 inches long. Neither Steve or I thought she was going to be that small. We started contractions at 2:30 am and finally at 6:30 am we headed to the hospital and my Mom stayed with Parker who was still in bed. My contractions were 5-8 minutes apart but because I tested positive for group b my doctors said to get to the hospital early so they could start antibiotics so Paige would not get sick. Well by the time we got to the hospital my contractions were slowing down and after we had been there for an hour my contractions had pretty much stopped. So they did an ultra sound just to make sure I had enough amniotic fluid and to make sure things were still okay with Paige. Everything looked fine so they asked me if I wanted to try some induction gels. They were going to try 2 rounds with the gel and then start some pitocin. Well we decided to go ahead and try it because we were going to be induced in a couple days anyways. Well once they put the first round of gels in I started contractions right away. And they were right on top of each other with literally no breaks. After about 40 minutes they slowed down slightly so they were only maybe 30 seconds apart. And I finally got an epidural, which was wonderful. Paige came soon after that. It was about 3 1/2 hours of labor once I got the gels until she was born. It was so fast and very calm. When she was born she had the cord around her neck, but the doctor was very fast at getting it off and there was no complications from it. They placed her on me once she was born and she fell asleep. Because she was born so quickly they couldn't get enough antibiotics in me to protect her so they had to test her blood and do blood cultures to make sure she was alright. Her test came back with a high white blood cell count so they put her on antibiotics and had to keep her for 48 hours. Everything was fine though and we got to take her home after that. She has been such a great baby. Good eater and sleeper, most of the time. And we are so happy to have her in our family.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! Glad she came out and is beautiful and healthy. She has dark hair. I don't remember if Parker had dark hair when he was born? Anyway, congratulations!!!!

Steve + Brindy Arnett said...

congrats Katie! she is beautiful!! :)